This is a photo of Katherine Switzer at the 1967 Boston Marathon. She was the first woman ever to enter the marathon and feathers were ruffled because of it.
In the photo, there is a race official trying to grab Switzer and rip her registration number off.
This is not the first time Switzer was shown disrespect because she was a runner. A couple of people tried to run her off the road in their cars!
This was because back then women were not meant to run or sweat or do things that weren’t feminine. This lead Switzer to dedicating her life to sports equality. She pushed for the women’s marathon at the Olympics. She created a running series which held events in 27 different countries around the world for women to enter. Among countless other achievements, Katherine Switzer became a pioneer in the sport of running, paving the way for women around the world.
Tagged as: katherine switzer. boston marathon. marathon. running. racing.
- fujega reblogged this from whiletheywereonthecouch
- s-hammydog reblogged this from whiletheywereonthecouch and added:
- anavocadoofjoy reblogged this from whiletheywereonthecouch
- drowningwithamanda likes this
- marleypartyhardy reblogged this from whiletheywereonthecouch
- whiletheywereonthecouch posted this